I keep seeing people requesting information on how to install BMW Scanner 1.4.0 on Windows 10. Here are the notes I took whilst I installed the software on Windows 10 Professional. The software installation was done on a fresh install of Windows 10 Professional. I first copied the scanner software from the CD to a folder on my desktop.
These instructions should also work for Windows 7 but I have not tried them on this Operating System.
Disclaimer: This procedure worked for my installation. It is not guaranteed to work for all laptops and all versions of Windows.
2. When asked if you want to allow this software from an unknown publisher to update the computer. click the Yes button. The installation will start.
3. Take all the default options for the installation. If asked if you want to overwrite and files, click on Overwrite All. When prompted, take the option to install a shortcut on the desktop, and to auto-run the application after installation.
4. Now we need to install the drivers.
Go to the install folder on the c:\ drive.
Go in to BMWScan140.
Go in to Drivers.
Select the file FTD2XX.inf (the one that says setup information) and right-click the mouse to bring up the context menu.
When asked if you want to allow the program to modify the computer. Press Yes. The drivers will start to install.
6. Plug the laptop in to the car and start the software. The software should connect to the car and allow you to scan and update the system.
The items noted below I did not need to do for my installation of Windows 10 Professional but are included to give you some pointers for troubleshooting.
- On a previous installation of Windows 10 I needed to find a registry hack to allow uncertified drivers to be installed. This was a while ago so I don’t have the link. Try searching for “how to install drivers from an unknown publisher”. (always take care when editing the registry)
- On 64-bit installations you may find you need to install the 64-bit drivers. The drivers are available in the install folder where you run the initial setup program from.
- You may also find you need to change the configuration for the COM serial port. You can do this in Device Manager, look for the serial port driver and use the configure options. You can change the assigned COM port and other things like the latency. NOTE: You won’t see the serial port in Device Manager unless the laptop is plugged in to the car.
I hope that this post helps you to get the software working. Please do let me know if this gets you going. If you have issues, try Googling (that’s what I do) or you can post a comment and I will try and help. I can’t give any guarantees to be able to get things working for you but can sometimes help to communicate
My laptop updated to the latest feature version of Windows today and after this update BMW Scanner could no longer see the serial port to communicate with the car. It would just say Hardware not ready. A quick look in Device Manager in Windows and it said that the driver for the BMW Scanner was not loaded. I went back to load the drivers as per the above instructions but they would not install. Windows gave an error about there not being a signature on the drivers and so would not install them. A quick Google of the issue and I found the following link.
I used the notes on GUI to Disable Digital Signature Checking. After disabling the check for the digital signature it now allowed the drivers to be installed. I had to reboot the laptop after the install of the drivers before they would work.