The wiper arms on the E52 were looking a bit worse for wear. The black had gone very pale and in some places had come off altogether and there were rust patches. It was time for a refurb.
I used a 17mm spanner to remove the bolts holding the arms on and a battery terminal puller to extract the arms off the spindles.
Using sandpaper and spray that I already had in the cellar I set to work.
Sanded down the arms with 250 grit followed by 1500 grit to remove the worst of the rust and to smooth where the original paint had peeled. I then used three coats of grey etch primer followed by two coats of matt black.
I waited at least five minutes between each coat of paint and then left the arms for 24-hours to dry before fitting back on the car.
The end result is astounding and makes such a difference.