Here are some notes on how to refurb your headlights or tail lights.
- Ensure that the lights have been washed and dried
- Mask off all the area around the lights to avoid the sanding and polishing going on to the bodywork around the lights
- Use sanding pads on a fast drill or polisher
- Using a P800 sandpaper, use medium pressure and move side to side and up and down to remove the worst of the scratches. Periodically dust off the lens and the paper to ease the sanding. When finished, the lens should look a little milky. Check all the defects have been removed and then move on to the next stage.
- Next use a P1500 in the same manner, at the end, the lens should look more translucent but still a little milky.
- Move on to a P2000 and with a little water on the lens and pad continue in the same manner. Avoid the lens becoming dry. By the end the lens should look a little cloudy.
- Next move on to a P3000 and again with a little water and the same movements. Avoid the lens becoming dry. By the end the lens should look more translucent.
- The final stage is to polish the lens until it is clear. Use a polishing pad and compound. Apply the compound to the pad and then dab it on to the lens before switching on the drill. This is to avoid compound being thrown all over. Add more compound as needed. Keep polishing until the lens is clear. Wipe down the lens periodically to check. If there are still defects, go back to the P3000 stage.